DATE: 2nd & 3rd May 2013
Host City: Melbourne
The Australian Police, Defence and Emergency Services Leadership Summit is the peak leadership and information conference for people managers within Australia's police, defence and emergency services.
Being held in Melbourne on the 2nd and 3rd of May, the Summit will attract an unrivalled line up of presenters never before assembled in Australia. These presenters, representing the highest echelons of operational decision making are tasked with delivering important and insightful advice pertaining to the future of leadership development within Australia's key emergency and protection industries. Furthermore the Summit offers a genuine opportunity to build strategic alliances across a wide variety of service areas and organisations.
The purpose of the Summit is to contribute to the ongoing development of resolute and effective leaders through skills development, expert advice and strategic networking. In addition to providing a platform to explore contemporary leadership practice, the Summit provides a unique opportunity for delegates to develop invaluable professional and personal networks. With an overarching focus on building leadership capacity, the 2013 Summit covers a range of leadership themes. These themes are reinforced through case studies and strategies presented by a broad cross-section of organisations.
Building personal leadership capacity and inspiring others towards peak performance
1. Leadership and management: Understanding the difference and striking the right balance
2. Leadership presence and influence
3. The resilient leader: Embracing changing and thriving under adversity
4. Commanding respect: Critical attributes for highly effective leaders
5. Remaining calm under pressure: Crisis control
Generating a strong sense of comradeship and protecting your team
1. Developing a culture of trust
2. Looking after your own: Ensuring the physical and mental wellbeing of your team
3. Strategic communication: The hallmark of effective teamwork
4. Developing and owning a powerful shared vision
5. Living values: Operating within a framework of guiding principals
Achieving organisational objectives and delivering outstanding service
1. Culture is key: Building a sustainable organisation from the ground up
2. Industry of Choice: Attracting and retaining the right people
3. The Leadership Pipeline: Insights on leadership development and succession
4. Is gender diversity a priority within Australia’s Police, Defence and Emergency Services? How does it relate to the broader shift in Australia’s diversity agenda? And how does this impact the role of individual managers?
Day 1 Thursday 2nd of May
8.30am – 9.00am Registration
9.00am – 5.00pm Summit Sessions
5.00pm – 6.00pm Networking drinks
Day 2 Friday 3rd of May
9:00am – 3:00pm Summit Sessions
Summit attendees will comprise a broad spectrum of managers and supervisors from Australian police, defence and emergency services organisations. The Summit has been developed for a variety of personnel, ranging from aspiring new managers through to established leaders and decision makers. Delegates will come from a diverse range of organisations across both metropolitan and regional Australia. To discuss the Summit and your suitability, please call the Workplace Training Advisory of Australia on 1300 138 037.
The Australian Police, Defence and Emergency Services Leadership Summit has evolved through a strategic alliance between the Workplace Training Advisory of Australia (WTAA) and key Australian emergency, defence and security services spanning all states and territories.
The Summit organising committee is guided by a specific charter to support the development of leadership excellence at all levels of Australian police, defence and emergency services. By supporting the quality of leadership development, the Summit aims to increase the attractiveness of careers in these services. The 2013 Summit is managed by a dedicated project team and is administered from the WTAA’s Melbourne office.
Summit Program Manager
Workplace Training Advisory of Australia
Phone. 1300 138 037